Tuesday 23 April 2013

Anime Girl - Drawing Tutorial

Hey Guys!
So today I decided to make my first ever drawing tutorial. People always ask me to teach them how to draw and Im really not good at teaching so I thought maybe a tutorial would be easier, also I thought it looked fun to make :)

So Im just going to start off drawing a anime girl face and maybe in the future do a boy face and then some full body ones, idk lol.

Before I start Il just point out that I know Im not the BEST drawer in the world but Im still proud of my drawings and maybe me showing you how I draw might give you some ideas. Also, this is just the way I draw, its not the only way and maybe not even the best way. I dont always draw this way either, this was just the easiest way to show you in the most coherent way, without me going back and forth explaining how Ive changed things that I drew in the first photo etc.. So bare with me lol. Its my first time but I still hope it helps :)

So.. Lets Start!

What youl need

Paper
Pencils, 2B and 6B
Pencil Sharpener
Eraser
Ink pens, 3 different sizes

Firstly always make sure your pencils are sharp. I tend to forget to keep them sharp so I have to keep reminding myself haha.

Step One:
Ive drawn a circle for the head and drawn a jaw underneath. Im using a 2B pencil to draw my sketch. It takes a couple of tries to get it right, I usually have to go back half way through because it looks right at this stage but when I add the hair and face it sometimes ends up being better if I tweak it a bit. But well come to that later.

I then just sketch a couple of guide lines down the middle of the face and where the eyes and eyebrows should sit. Try to make them curve a bit instead of being straight and flat, itl give the face more depth. Again, this takes a few guesses for me to get right, just wing it a couple of times and youl get the hang of it.

Step Two:






Next, sketch the shape of the eyes and eyebrows that you want in the guide lines. The top of the eye should just touch the top and bottom of the guide lines, same as the eyebrows. Then draw the nose and mouth. I dont emphasise the nose or mouth much so Ive just drawn small lines to hint at where they are. I dont usually make guide lines for these, I usually just guess where they will sit.

Step Three:


Now draw the hair that you want. I always start with the fringe and then do the back of the hair. To draw the fringe I started with a "wedge" of hair in the middle and layer them outwards and shape them around the face. Then I drew hair starting from the top of the head and then made it curly as it got to the bottom.

 Step Four:

Now its time to line it with ink. I used a 1.5mm artist pen to outline the chunkier bits of hair, around the face and neck then used a 0.7mm pen to outline the smaller peices of hair and the main features of the face. Finally I used a 0.3mm pen to draw the minor details like the eyelashes, details in the hair and eyes.
Then erase all of the pencil marks so that theres only the clean ink outline left.

Step Five:

 And now we shade it. I use a 6B pencil to shade with. I started with the hair. I shade the darkest at the tip and the base of the hair and leave the middle light to give it highlights. This is a bit tricky to do when the hair is curly so when there are areas that youre not sure of just imagine where the light source would coming from and use that as a guide, or just wing it and see what looks good haha.

Step Six:


Then shade the face and eyes. I shade the face darkest underneath the fringe, I didnt shade the shadows as dark as I would in other places like the hair or eyes because I wanted the skin to look fairly light. Then shade underneath the chin.
To shade the eyes all I did was shade an oval in the middle where the pupil would be and then shade darkest from the top of the eye getting lighter towards the bottom.


And Now Your Done!

A good tip for when youre finished drawing is to spray the page with hairspray. This seals the page so that the graphite doesnt rub off or smudge. There are proper sealants that you can buy but if you dont want to spend any extra money a cheap hairspray will do the trick fine :)

Also, another thing that can be helpful is to just look at pictures of anime and manga and just try to copy them, thats how I learnt to draw. And of course, Practice makes Perfect!

So now all there is to do is to sign it off, spray it to seal it and your done! :) Youve finished drawing an anime girl!

Please let me know if Ive left anything out or if theres anything you want to clear up or if theres any ideas for another tutorial or just ideas for stuff to draw.

I hope this was somewhat helpful, or at least entertaining lol It was really fun to make :)

See Ya!

1 comment: